Head Office - Jr. Landscape Designer (1 Year Contract)
Our Operations and Development Department at Head Office, located at 2 Jane Street, Toronto, ON is currently recruiting a full-time Jr. Landscape Designer on a 1-year contract.
Reporting to the Operations and Development Design Manager, this position will be responsible to perform professional landscape architectural work in cemetery planning and designing landscape features. They will provide innovative and aesthetically pleasing environments for people to enjoy, while ensuring that changes to the natural environment are appropriate.
This position prepares conceptual designs and detailed construction drawings, consistent with professional drafting standards for cemetery developments. This position contributes to the efficiency of cemetery land planning and, through collaboration with the Project Management team, ensures the timely completion of construction projects. Delivering a vital service to external customers and end-users by providing accurate, reliable and clear property information through a variety of drawings, renderings and graphics.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Preparing preliminary design, working drawings, specifications and cost estimates for gardens, walkways, patios and other landscape features that beautify Arbor cemeteries and funeral homes.
- Designing conceptual cemetery master site plans and prepares land utilization studies and analysis pertaining to the future development of Arbor buildings, ponds, roads, memorial gardens, landscape plantings and underground services.
- Investigates and advises the Design Manager of solutions or makes suggestions for improvement of standard landscape design details and specifications.
- Reviews and checks consultant drawings for correctness and conformity to codes and approved Arbor design standards and specifications as required.
- Liaises with internal customers to determine client needs and design requirements.
- Advises project managers and contractors on the interpretation of plans and recommends changes when necessary.
- Assists the Design Manager with internal meetings and presentations to stakeholders concerning landscape design projects.
- Drafts detailed presentational maps of new and existing memorial garden site plans, as well as floor plans and elevations for cemetery structures intended for government approvals, and internal and external customer use.
- Coordinates distribution of drawings for internal review and external submissions.
- Updates the department drafting standards and procedures.
- Occasionally travels to Arbor sites to review project progress, determine design and specification compliance, and make recommendations to existing plans and specs
- Other duties or special projects as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required for this role:
- Diploma or degree in a specialized design program in landscape, environmental, architecture or equivalent from an accredited post-secondary institution.
- Minimum of 1 - 2 years of related landscape design experience.
- Excellent knowledge of the principles and practices of landscape architecture/design.
- Possess 3 to 5 years of AutoCAD drafting experience.
- Capable to prepare and interpret complete landscape architecture plans, construction drawings, specifications, and cost estimates.
- Ability to analyze landscape architecture and development plans for accuracy, appropriateness, and compliance with Arbor standards and applicable codes.
- Good working knowledge of horticultural and ecological principles and their relationship to landscape planning and design.
- Good working knowledge of construction methods, costs, uses of materials, and building codes in landscape design.
- Strong knowledge of surveying methods, topographical mapping and geographic information systems (GIS).
- Excellent ability to make accurate drawings to scale in AutoCAD from sketches, design drawings, and verbal instructions.
- Ability to make 2 and 3 dimensional renderings and illustrations of design concepts using SketchUp, Abode illustrator and Photoshop.
- Strong knowledge of MS Office; Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize duties, to meet deadlines and work independently or as part of a team with a minimum amount of supervision.
- Excellent attention to detail and a consistently high level of accuracy.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills; verbal, written and presentation.
- Demonstrated strong customer service skills with the ability to partner with all levels of the organization.
- Exemplifies Arbor’s values of compassion, integrity, trust, teamwork and excellence.
If you are interested in applying for this position or know someone who may be qualified and interested, please email your resume and cover letter to:
We appreciate your interest, and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Completion of satisfactory business references, background checks (credit, criminal), employment testing and proof of education are essential conditions of employment
Arbor Memorial Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible work environment. If you are contacted for an interview and/or testing and require accommodation, please contact the Human Resources Department.