Learn. Share. Plan.
Explore our news, stories, posts and videos
Download this handy to-do list before you go
Article Posted on
Are you heading off on a summer holiday? If so, you’ll want to protect both your home and your health while you’re gone. Here are some key tasks to consider:
- Talk to your neighbours. Tell your trusted neighbours when you will be leaving and returning. Also, provide them with your cell phone number or other contact information.
- Stop mail and newspaper delivery.
- Notify your bank that you’ll be out of Canada.
- Keep the lights going. Use a timer to turn lights on and off at various points in the day.
- Unplug your electronics. For example: televisions, PVR and DVD players, computers, small kitchen appliances and power bars.
- Monitor your home with your smart phone. With an interactive home security system and a smart phone, you can monitor your home security and other alarm systems, such as smoke alarms, remotely.
- Health care needs. You may have to supplement your provincial or territorial health insurance plan with travel health insurance.
Categorized under: tips-for-seniors